What is the purpose of the Mormon Transhumanism?
Describe the purpose and goals of the Mormon Transhumanist Association.
The Mormon Transhumanist Association (MTA) approaches transhumanism and theosis as active, not passive work. The Mormon Transhumanist Affirmation expresses this approach.
Purpose of the MTA
For Mormon Transhumanists, theosis
The idea that humans can become Gods. is deliberate, active work. This is the pursuit of posthumanity
The race of human descendants with capabilities beyond current humans to such a degree as to warrant a different category — in the same way that humans differ from prehumans.. The idea of human agency
The ability to choose and act. in this work is fundamental to transhumanism
An intellectual movement based on the belief that humanity can transcend current physical or cognitive limitations through the use of science and technology., and is abundant in the teachings of Mormonism
A religion with a set of denominations founded by Joseph Smith. The name is derived from the Book of Mormon, a book of scripture translated by Smith..
Mormon Transhumanist Affirmation
This active approach is central to the MTA. The constitution of the MTA states that the purpose of the association is to promote the Mormon Transhumanist Affirmation. The Affirmation reads:
- We are disciples of the Gospel
The life and teachings of Jesus Christ, especially as they unite humanity and god.of Jesus Christ, which is to trust in, change toward, and fully immerse our bodies and minds in the role of Christ
From the Greek for ‘anointed’ (divinely called), referring to one who works to unite humanity and God., to become compassionate creators as exemplified and invited by Jesus.
- We understand the Gospel to be compatible with and complementary to many religions and philosophies, particularly those that provoke strenuous pursuit of compassionate and creative exaltation.
- We seek the spiritual and physical exaltation
An elevated state as humans attain godhood.of individuals and their anatomies, as well as communities and their environments, according to their wills, desires, and laws, to the extent they are not oppressive.
- We believe that scientific knowledge and technological power are among the means ordained of God to enable such exaltation, including realization of diverse prophetic visions of transfiguration
A complete change of form and appearance into an improved, more godlike state., immortality
The ability to live indefinitely., resurrection
The revival of a person, especially after death., renewal of this world, and the discovery and creation of worlds without end.
- We feel a duty to use science and technology
Tools used to enhance human abilities: from clothing, to agriculture, to computers, etc.according to wisdom and inspiration, to identify and prepare for risks and responsibilities associated with future advances, and to persuade others to do likewise.
- We practice our discipleship when we offer friendship, that all may be many in one; when we receive truth, let it come from whence it may; and when we send relief, consolation and healing, that raises each other together.
- What are the purposes and goals of the MTA?
- What are risks and benefits of pursuing theosis as a deliberate, active endeavor?
- Which parts of the Mormon Transhumanist Affirmation resonate with you?